Freelancer: Alberta; Aug. 2019 – Present
- – Branched off into my own business as a freelance journalist and media consultant, focused mostly on online writing and podcast production
- – Focus on topics surrounding technology, culture, environmental sciences, energy and the innovation economy
- – Also developed workshops aimed at organizations to help develop their own podcasts or to increase engagement with already-running podcasts
CKUA Radio Network
Digital Content Editor: Edmonton, AB; July 2016 – Aug. 2019
- – Managed website for radio network focused on fostering emerging artists. Includes podcast management, writing of editorial pieces on featured artists, and video of live performances
- – Handled the station’s social media accounts — leading to a significant (30%+) increase in social engagement year-over-year.
- – Planned and produced special online projects for various departments, writing and designing features on CKUA’s history, special broadcasts and donor activities. Often headed multiple projects at once, managing different needs and deadlines
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Digital Content Producer: Banff, AB; Oct. 2015 – Apr. 2016
- – Wrote feature articles and produced podcasts for world-renowned arts institution, focusing on the works of artists, politicians and leaders. Conducted field interviews, audio recordings, writing, editing and audio/video production.
- – Helped develop the centre’s voice and tone online, with a focus on engaging general audiences and donors.
- – Produced, wrote and managed Banff Centre Talks, a series of live discussions with writers, musicians and other artists. Also handled the technical details of recording the talks for release as videos and podcasts.
Web/Multimedia Reporter: Edmonton, AB; Aug. 2012 – Sept. 2015
- – Pitched, researched and wrote stories for CBC.ca — including breaking news, features and data-supported pieces
- – Prepared multimedia features – pioneering new story forms to engage our online audience with photos, video, audio and other elements
- – Managed social media accounts, both as a promotional and news-gathering tool. Also conducted training for other reporters on social media techniques/tools for use in the field.
Radio Reporter: Edmonton, AB; June 2010 – Aug. 2012
- – Gathered and produced both breaking news and longer radio features, both for local and national radio.
- – Worked on longer current affairs pieces, cutting finished products and booking live guests for shows.
- – Provided live hits for local and national television, as well as gathering taped elements.
University of Alberta – Edmonton, AB
Specialization: Evolutionary and behavioural psychology
University of King’s College – Halifax, NS
Specialization: Radio documentary, online journalism
- Other Achievements
Radio Documentary Aired on CBC Radio’s Ideas
Original Air Date: Feb. 23, 2017
Original, hour-long radio documentary exploring the question of programming morality into artificial intelligence and the impact the technology may have on our own ethical foundations.
- Available upon request